Curiosity may have killed the cat, but dogs seem to survive okay, despite eating some bizarre and dangerous objects.
Any dog owner knows that dogs love to eat everything. To your dog, shoes, phone chargers and sofa seats are fine food.
But these common items are nothing compared to the shocking items that vets at PDSA ( People’s Dispensary for Sick Animals) retrieve from their bodies.
These skilled vets have witnessed some unusual cases where the dog was found to be extremely dangerous, yet the pup managed to survive and continue to bark.
One such case is that of Macie the Staffordshire Bull Terrier, for example, whose X-ray showed she had swallowed an eight-inch kitchen knife (she recovered), TeamDogs reports.
The vet in charge, Emily Ronald, said she’d never seen an X-ray like it before. Macie was 12 weeks old when the accident occurred. Luckily, the knife went down handle first – if it had been the other way round, there is no way she would have survived.
Blue, a Whippet swallowed Ecstasy tablets while out on a walk. After spending a night in the hospital, she was able to recover from her encounter with Class A.
Chase had a ‘Despicable’ time when he swallowed an egg – a chocolate egg (toxic to dogs) with a plastic Minion inside. He lived to tell about it.
Puppy Domino ate a hearing aid – not the most digestible of items. She was able to survive an emergency operation.
Rottweiler Broxi had a needle lodged in the back of her throat – and it was still threaded!
Join our brand new sister website TeamDogs today!
This is a place to share a picture and your doggy advice.
The thread was used to pull the needle out by Broxi’s vet, saving her from a difficult operation. Broxi was lucky – if the needle had reached her spinal cord, it could have caused meningitis or left her paralysed.
Some dogs love to help with the housework. Shih Tzu Alfie swallowed a kitchen scourer after being given an injection to make him sick. Alfie eventually vomited the abrasive sponge after he was given an injection.
Diesel ate the top of a baby’s bottle. It made a clear image on the Xray, and vets quickly had him back on his own feet.
A Great Dane-cross named Dexter ate three feet of tinsel last Christmas. The vet was able pull it out in one piece.
Cooper, a Yorkie, was another canine patient with an unusual appetite. X-rays showed an unidentified mass in his stomach – PDSA vets operated to discover 22 hair bobbles and a button.
Then there is the case of Beagle-Harrier cross Beau, who swallowed nine socks – all recovered by Vets4Pets in Lisburn, Co Antrim, as reported in Teamdogs.
Hector, a Basset Hound who is obsessed with pebbles, is the last. Owner Claire Houghton had to cover the ornamental stones in her garden with plastic matting to stop Hector eating them – but he tunnelled underneath and continued his stony snacks. After vomiting and refusing walk, Hector was taken to the vet. Xrays revealed that he had a pebble lodged in his stomach and one in his intestine.
Elizabeth Sharples, principal vet at Vets Now in Chippenham, who operated on Hector, said: “Some dogs will eat literally anything and, as Hector’s case shows, this can be very dangerous. Owners who have a dog who eats stones or other ‘foreign objects’ should keep a close eye on their pet’s behaviour and health.”