The New York City medical examiner confirmed that Michael K. Williams died following an accidental drug overdose, according to the New York Post. His official cause of death was listed as “acute intoxication.” A toxicology report confirmed that Williams had fentanyl, p-fluorofentanyl, heroin, and cocaine in his system at the time of his death. The New York Post’s initial report about Williams’ death confirmed that there was a substance that “appeared to be heroin” seen on William’s kitchen table.
In an interview with Men’s Health magazine back in October 2020, Williams revealed that he started using drugs when he was a teenager. When he was 17, he attempted suicide by taking a bunch of pills. “[I] woke up to my stomach being pumped,” he told the outlet. Williams opened up about his addiction in a 2017 interview with The New York Times. He admitted that the roles that he had taken on over the years had caused him to sort of relive the trauma of his past. “The characters that mean the most to me are the ones that damn near kill me. It’s a sacrifice I’ve chosen to make,” he said.