UFC fighter Devin Clark was subject to a brutal injury during his fight with Ion Cutelaba during Saturday night’s UFC Vegas 37 event, with images showing the damage inflicted to his mouth and teeth.
The American, 31 years old, lost to the Moldovan in an unanimous decision. His teeth had to be seen by a dentist after the second round.
The fighter received treatment after medics discovered blood in his mouth.
Clark was not unable to stop Cutelaba from fighting, but the injury didn’t stop him from continuing his fight.
Cutelaba later admitted that the injury was not the most severe he’d ever inflicted on an opponent.
“I am very strong with my punches,’ Cutelaba said in his post-fight interview.
“But Clark is a really good fighter and I am strong and my punches are tough but he was a strong opponent.
“But I have inflicted other injuries on other opponents with my elbow and knee, it isn’t the worst.
“Clark is back and I will be staying here. This is my place tonight. Devin Clark, thank you so much. Keep fighting. You are a great fighter. Next fight is against the top (of division).
MMA star Tatiana Suarez tweeted later about the horrific injury: “Literally about to gag thinking about Devins teeth being almost knocked out #UFCVegas37.”
While Cody Durden said on Saturday: “Ion Cutelaba with a dominate performance! Good takedowns.”
What’s the most gruesome in the UFC you can remember? Please comment below.
Cutelaba’s last win came in September 2019, having lost two and drawing one of his last three fights.
The Moldovan lost to Magomed Andkalaev on both occasions in 2020. Dustin Jacoby was able to draw the fight earlier this year.
Dana White, however, expressed how impressed he was Clark after he chose to fight instead of being injured.
He said: “One tough dude,” alongside an image of his injuries.