British historical drama Downton Abbey (2019) is all set to be back with its upcoming sequel titled Downton Abbey: A New Era. Both films are written by English novelist-cum-filmmaker-cum screenwriter Julian Fellowes and the story of these films are based on television series of the same name created as well as written by Fellowes. After 6 seasons and countless awards, Downton Abbey series came to an end in December 2015.
The fist film was directed by American filmmaker Michael Engler while the upcoming sequel will be directed by Simon Curtis who is known for directing biographical dramas such as “My Week with Marilyn” and “Woman in Gold” while it is produced by Gareth Neame along with Liz Trubridge under the banner of Carnival Films.
The technical crew includes Andrew Dunn who is handling the cinematography and Adam Recht, who has edited the film. Emmy Award winning Scottish composer John Lunn has composed music and soundtrack of the film.
Downton Abbey: A New Era Star Cast
Most of the star cast of the first film of the franchise will reprise their respective roles in the film. Here are the name of the star cast:
- Hugh Bonneville is playing the male lead as Robert Crawley, who is the 7th Earl of Grantham
- Samantha Bond as Lady Rosamund Painswich
- Laura Carmichael as Edith Pelham, Marchioness of Hexham
- Jim Carter as Charles Carson
- Raquel Cassidy as Phyllis Baxter
- Paul Copley as Albert Mason
- Jonathan Coy as George Murray
- Brendan Coyle as John Bates
- Hugh Dancy as Jack Barber
- Michelle Dockery as Lady Mary
- Kevin Doyle as Joseph Molesley
- Michael Fox as Andy Parker
- Joanne Froggatt as Anna Bates
- Robert James-Collier as Thomas Barrow
- Harry Hadden-Paton as Herbert “Bertie” Pelham, Marquess of Hexham
- Laura Haddock as Myrna Dalgleish
- Sue Johnston as Miss Denker
- Allen Leech as Tom Branson
- Phyllis Logan as Elsie Carson
- Elizabeth McGovern as Daisy Parker
- Tuppence Middleton as Lucy Branson
- Lesley Nicol as Beryl Patmore
- Doughlas Reith as Richard “Dickie” Grey, Lord Merton
- Maggie Smith as Violet Crawley, Dowager Countess of Grantham
- Imelda Staunton as Maud, Lady Bagshaw
- Dominic West as Guy Dexter
- Penelope Wilton as Isobel Grey, Lady Merton
- Nathalie Baye
- Jonathan Zaccai
Downton Abbey: A New Era Release Date
Downton Abbey: A New Era was supposed to be released theatrically on 22 December 2021 but it got delayed to March 18, 2022, again it was postponed. Now the film is all set to be released theatrically on April 29, 2022 by Universal Pictures in the United Kingdom and on May 20, 2022 in the United States of America and Canada by Focus Features. Before that it will premiere at Leicester Square in London on April 25, 2022.
The time has come! Tickets are now on sale for #DowntonAbbey: A New Era.
— Downton Abbey (@DowntonAbbey) April 19, 2022
Downton Abbey: A New Era OTT Release Date
The historic drama film is expected to stream on over-the-top video streaming service Peacock in the United States of America on July 4, 2022, 45 days after its American theater release.
Plot of the Film
The story of the film revolves around The Crawley family which goes on a grand journey from Grantham estate down to the South of France to uncover the mystery of the Dowager countess’s newly inherited villa.
Downton Abbey: A New Era Trailer Out
Watch the trailers of Downton Abbey: A New Era below: